Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket


Thursday, February 3, 2011

Cooking Lessons

Let's just say that I am not a natural Betty Crocker. Growing up I spent most of my time outside, not in the kitchen learning how to cook. I can't blame my mom for not teaching me, because I simply didn't want to learn. And let me tell you that it really bit me in the butt once I was married. I was so lost in a kitchen, that my mother-in-law arranged all of my cabinets and draws in our first home. I had no clue where anything was. To prove to you how bad it was, Kyle and I have some really good friends that used to frequent our home often, Erik and Angie. You see Erik and Angie live in town and Erik loves to come out to the country and do some "Man" things. Anyway, Kyle and Erik would be outside and Angie and I would stay inside to cook dinner. Here's how Angie and I's conversations would go........

Angie - So what were you planning to make for dinner?

Missy - I was thinking pork chops, mashed potatoes, and a vegetable.

Angie - Ok, what do you want to start on first?

Missy - I don't care, just make yourself at home and I'll try to find everything you need.

Once we'd start cooking, I'd come up with some reason to go out and check on the boys. The next time I'd come back in the house would be when Angie was yelling that dinner was done. Angie knew her way around my kitchen better than I did. I guess this would be a good time for me to say "Thank You" to Angie, without her Kyle wouldn't have gotten good meals EVER. So I was back in the same situation yet again, I hadn't learned how to cook.

One day I made my mind up that I was going to learn how to cook. How hard could it be? Let me tell you that I'm amazed that Kyle is still alive after some of the things I made for him. Oil Drenched Cheese Frenchies, burnt pork chops, uncooked potatoes (or apples as Kyle will call them), etc. etc. etc. So I got the idea that if I learned to make gravy, and not just any gravy, my mother-in-laws gravy, I could put it on top of any thing and it would better the taste. So during a trip to the in-laws I asked my mother in law to teach me how to make her gravy. And so the episodes of bad gravy began.

Kyle considers himself a "Gravy Connoisseur." Just about every evening he'd try eating too runny gravy, too much flour gravy, too little flour gravy, and gravy that looked like vomit. The dogs became plum fat during this time, because we were throwing out not only the horrible food I was making, but also topping it off with gravy. Well, with a lot of practice I have to admit that I have become pretty good at making gravy. In fact, I've become kinda comfortable in the kitchen and even enjoy reading cook books. Gasp!

So, I've decided to randomly post some of my favorite family recipes or new recipes I've tried out. Tonight I decided to make a Nilan Family favorite, Beer Cheese Soup. Yes, there is beer in the soup, but you cook the alcohol out. My sister's in-laws refused to try this soup, so she simply changed the name to Nilan Cheese Soup and guess what......they love it! This is a great soup to make when you don't have much time to make dinner or when it's really cold outside and you need something to warm you up.


Beer Cheese Soup

1 c. flour
1/2 c. butter
4 cups chicken broth
1 can evaporated milk
16 oz. cheese whiz
1 can beer of your choice (I prefer coors light)
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
dried beef (fresh from the deli, or in the jar)

You'll want to smooth together the flour, butter, chicken brother and evaporated milk before adding the rest of the ingredients. Heat over the stove and serve when hot.

Happy Eating!

MW

1 comment :

  1. Missy I found your blog through the link you posted on facebook, it's great so far! I battle the same thing with advertising for my business Ropes & Rhinestones. Do you have a twitter account? I've generated business & made relationships on twitter that I never imagined. I tweeted a link to your blog so hopefully it will bring you some traffic.

    ReplyDelete