Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket


Monday, February 28, 2011

Gracious Loser?

Can someone please take a black Sharpie (permanent) marker and write CHOKE.......IDIOT........LOSER on my forehead?

This weekend I had a barrel race at the Bridle Creek Arena. It wasn't just any barrel race, it was the final barrel race for the Rockin' C Productions 5D Series and I was in second place to win a saddle. I felt very confident. I believed in my horse. And I had a great support team behind me, including my Cowboy.

"Missy Whitfield, you're up." We entered the arena and Iceman ran the fastest to the first barrel as we've ever ran and he ate it up. Awesome! As we were running to the second barrel, I must have left my brain back at the first barrel. We hit the second barrel. Not good. And the worst part about it was that it was completely my fault. Who me? Yes. Me.

Along with hitting the second barrel, I lost my chances of winning the saddle. Insert sad face here. Anyway, back to my story.

Other than hitting the second barrel, Iceman made a great run and I was very proud of him. I walked back to my Cowboy who was wait for me with a hug and words of encouragement. "You'll get'em next time." I smiled and went on to cool Iceman out. As I was walking him, I was humbled to have so many people come up to me and say that they had been rooting for me and knew that I must be sick about it. But what got me the most was when a fellow barrel racer's husband came up to me and said, "Anyone can be a gracious winner, but not just anyone can be a gracious loser."

Was I being a gracious loser? Does it count that all I wanted to do was go back to the truck and cry and scream and bang my head against the window? Well, I wasn't throwing a fit in public. I wasn't jerking on my horse. It wasn't his fault.....it was me that had a brain fart.


My Cowboy was right when he said that I'll get'em next time. And if I don't.......there will always be a next time after that. That's the wonderful thing about doing something that I love. It doesn't matter that I fail, as long as I learn from my mistakes and continue to have fun.

Until next time,

MW

No comments :

Post a Comment