Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket


Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Take Off Your Jewelry

So during my travels this week, I've had to visit a few towns in southeast Texas for work. I pulled into the community and there were bars on every window and door of every business I drove by. I nonchalantly reached over and locked my car doors, that automatically lock when you put your car in drive. My motto is, "You can never be too safe."

Two weeks prior when I was making my travel arrangements I should have known it was going to be this bad when one of my Cowboy's coworkers warned me not to stay in the community. In fact he said, "That town isn't safe for a grown man once the sun goes down."

I walked into the office this morning and was greeted by a great group of people. Reps that had a great taste of style, just like me. And a love for fashion brands like Coach, Louis Vuitton, Jessica Simpson, BCBG......just like me. I'd decided that this town wasn't as bad as it looked. Wrong. As I was about to go ride around with the first rep of the day, I was warned that I needed to take off my jewerly. What? Really? Why? I then looked at the reps left hand and saw that she was wearing no wedding ring and I knew she was happily married, she'd just got done telling me all about her husband and kids. So I took my jewelry off and thought to myself that it was probably a good idea. I didn't want to mugged on the street.

Now, I'm a strong girl and I try to be as cautious as possible. I've been traveling on my own for almost 5 years now, and have learned to be very aware of my surroundings. I kept thinking that this town can't be that bad. People live in the community by choice, so it can't be as bad as I'd been warned. Wrong.

Once the rep and I left, we went to our first appointment which happened to be at a eating place ran by 2 brothers that also owned their own meat processing company. The 2 brothers were very nice and I really enjoyed speaking with them. Of course, as soon as they found out I was from the Tulsa area they said......Wow, how about that weather ya'll have been having? As the rep and I were about to leave, one of the brothers shook my hand goodbye and told me to be safe during my visit. I simply responded that I would. He then said again, "I mean it. Please be safe. If you have a gun, keep it on you." What?!?! If I have a gun? And then the rep simply said, "Don't worry, she's with me and I'm always packing." OMG! My Cowboy's coworker wasn't lying.

Past that incidence, my visit has been very enjoyable. But let me tell you, that I have noticed a gun in arms reach of every business owner I've visited all day. I guess I'm going to say that I should feel very safe with all of the security weapons and security that I've been around. My Cowboy has been texting every couple hours all day just "Checking in on me."

But don't worry, I've come up with a list of things that I'm going to do to stay safe during my visit.

1. Walk to my car with my car keys through my fingers for defense.
2. Wear an outfit that lights up. Like the Super Bowl Half Time entertainment.
3. Walk around with a whistle in my mouth blowing it in short intervals.
4. Wear a homemade macaroni necklace, instead of my cross.
5. Invest in a few blow up dolls and walk around carrying them so that I looks like I'm not alone.
6. Ask God to watch over me during my travels.

Until next time,

MW

No comments :

Post a Comment